For y'all that don't know, the Car Talk guys had a caller one time that discussed the phenomonon of "road ugliness". It occurs to women when they are travelling in a car (or bus) for four or more hours. Let me tell you this: taking an overnight bus will made me road ugly (see photo). Smelly? Check. Mossy mouth? Check. Shiny face? Check. Frizzy hair? Check. Hilarious experience? Absolutely! Since I was taking this overnight bus in the practical, and opportunistic country of Vietnam, the bus driver sold the spaces on the floor as well as all the sleeper compartments. Therefore, if one has to use the squat-toilet bathroom in the middle of the night...one must monkey around the sleeping bodies, shoes in one hand, toilet paper in the other hand, plastic bag in the pocket, and headlamp on the head. I think I deserve a glory point for not waking anyone up or falling over in the bathroom! Once dawn lighted some of the scenery out our windows, we all had awonderful view of the bright green rice paddies, meandering rivers, and distant moutnains. Its nice to be out of the big city!
I've taken several lengthy showers and now am spending the week in the ancient city of Hue. The biking here easy, flat and cheap. Just $1/day to rent...but quite sweaty!
Think you are road wonderful! I love to travel and want to be there each time you post your thoughts!
ReplyDelete