Between traveler's sickness, bia hoi outings, and city wandering, its been a busy week! Last Monday night I went to Ngat's English class again. At one point during the class, I found myself being convinced by all fourty students and the teacher to lead the class in their weekly song - "Sealed with a Kiss" this week. Since that somewhat embarrassing moment, I've realized that there is a lot more random singing around here than in the United States. Sing when you take out the garbage, sing when you sweep the floor, sing in general, random, public places!
My Vietnamese teacher claims that there is a law prohibiting horn honking between 10pm and 5am. I register no difference when 10pm rolls around. But, I guess all that singing helps to balance out the motorbike horns.
Also, I've learned that it is never too early (in a social acceptance kind of way) to drink beer or eat ice cream. Since it's 1000 degrees by 6am, I'll take ice cream at all hours! In the past few days, whenever I've ordered things like food, beer, or ice cream, people have started understanding me (without laughing or correcting too much). In fact, I've even had some two or three sentence-long conversations. Those Vietnamese lessons must be doing something!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Indonesians randomly sing too. Its like my world has finally turned into the live musical I've always wanted it to be. Unlike you, I haven't landed a singing role yet. We'll see...
ReplyDeleteMany folks have told me how much they enjoyed the singing with a special word from Elaine sent out to you.....love the solo too!!! : ) xoMom
ReplyDelete